In order to use this feature, you must be an Editor, Admin or Account Owner in Walnut.
Learn more about each role.
It can be useful to reorder guides when editing your storyline depending on how you want to guide the viewer through a sequence. At times, you may insert a guide and realize you want to add new guides before it, or maybe you want to change the order of a guide step within a section. Luckily, both are possible and you can also reorder guide sections if need be. Guides are always connected to an element on a specific screen so if you're looking to move a guide to another element, you can change the selected element, but only on the same screen. We'll walk you through all the options of reordering, and moving guides below...
- Open a Storyline and click Guides in the upper left corner beside Edit mode:
- Add a new guide section by clicking the folder with the plus sign in the top right corner of the guides panel. Give it a name, like Introduction or Step 1, and then expand the section to Add a step.
- Before you click on Add a step, ensure you're on the screen in which you want to add it to. You can choose a different screen by using the dropdown in the upper middle section of the screen.
- Once the button is clicked, it will prompt you to select an element you wish to annotate. Click on a specific element on the screen to connect your new guide to it.
- Repeat these steps to add in your new guides within that section, or create new sections to appear sequentially in your flow.
- If you wish to reorder your guide sections, simply collapse the sections to hide the guide steps within the sections, and click and drag on the section you wish to move. When you drag it above or below the neighbouring sections, you should see a blue line appear which will indicate where you can drop it.
- If you want to reorder your guide steps within a section, you can drag and drop these as well with the blue line appearing before you place it above or below the others.
- And if you are looking to create a new guide in between two guides, simply hover over the space in between the two guide thumbnails in the side panel, and a line with a plus sign should appear that you can click to create your new guide.
- Last but not least, if you wish to change the element in which your guide is connected to, simply click the third icon in the guide toolbar to change the selected element.
Currently, you can only drag guide steps within it's section. Dragging steps into other sections is not yet supported.
Why can't I drag a guide step into a different section?
When creating a guided demo, it's very important to be cognizant of the order in which your guides are displayed. When a user clicks the Next button and advances to the next guide, the order of screens needs to make sense to the viewer so they don't get confused. By only reordering guides within it's own section, there is less room for errors and keeps screens organized. If you are unsure of the order of your guides when you start creating your storyline, you don't need to create multiple sections, which will allow you to reorder guides without constraints.
If I delete a section, will it delete all the guides within it?
Yes, but it will prompt you first to make sure you want to go ahead with your delete action. If you accidentally click delete from the three dots beside a section, you can click "Keep Guide" which will cancel the delete action.
Can I rename a section after I have already added guides to it?
Yes you can! Simply click the same three dots beside the guide section when you hover over it, and click Rename.
Please sign in to leave a comment.