While playing or presenting Walnut demos, one of the two options will be applied at a time: either a Guided or a Non Guided experience.
- In a Non Guided experience, you will navigate between screens by clicking on certain elements while Guides are disabled. In addition, when clicking anywhere on the screen, you will see indicative cues for elements that contain links.
- In a Guided experience, you will navigate between screens by advancing through the guide steps.
The main benefit is improving the demo visitor’s experience by keeping them focused on a certain path. Previously, when playing a demo that contained both linked elements and guides, demo visitors typically got confused about which path they should take and what the next step was intended to be. By separating the guided vs. non guided demos, demo visitors will have more clarity about how to progress through the demo.
- The new experiences will be applied automatically to newly created / updated demos.
- There are two ways that demo visitors can go from the guided demo to the non guided demo. The visitor can either click the “X” button on the annotation (if applicable) or click “Dismiss Guides” from the guide toolbar (if applicable).
- There are three ways in which demo visitors can go from viewing a non guided demo to a guided one. The visitor can click “Resume” on the bottom left corner, choose another guide from the guide toolbar (if applicable), or navigate to a screen where a new guide appears.
What if I want to add both options to the same demo?
Luckily when creating and editing the demo, you can set both options for the same demo. The only difference will be when playing/presenting the demo.
By default, if your demo has both guides and linked elements on the same screen, a demo visitor will experience the guide first. They can easily skip it by exiting the guide and playing the demo with the linked elements you added before.
Are these experiences automatically applied to my demos?
These two distinguished options have been live since January 2023. Therefore, any new demo or Storyline built since will have these experiences automatically applied. When it comes to existing demos - as long as they have not been updated, the existing experience will remain as it is.
How do I update an old demo with the new experiences?
Demos that haven't been updated will keep their old experience until changed. To update the demos, go to your Storyline, on the top right corner click the button “Publish Demo”, and choose from the list the demo you wish to update.
What if my demo contains both links and annotations?
That’s not a problem! You can still create demos using both links and annotations to dictate the path for your viewer, though during the demo they will be able to navigate through either the guided or non guided path at any given time. You’ll just need to take this into account when creating your demos.
What is the best way to use the feature?
We recommend planning ahead and creating your demos accordingly while taking into consideration the way you want the demo visitor to navigate through the demo.
- Non Guided demo: This option is suitable for live calls or self-guided demos, which essentially means that you, as a demo presenter, or the demo viewer, can navigate the demo by clicking on-screen elements that are linked.
- Guided demos: This option is suitable for product walkthroughs, tutorials, leave-behind materials, or any content where you want to instruct your buyers precisely what to do when you’re not there to guide them. Guides are basically overlays to your demos that direct your demo visitors to the next step you want them to take.
Please sign in to leave a comment.