The whole point of Smart Objects is to speed up your demo creation process. And this new feature will help you do it even faster.
Up until now, the application process was manual and required the user to move between screens and apply the instances one by one. From now on, to make it even simpler - Smart Objects can be automatically applied to all screens where they are present. This further reduces the efforts and time required, and makes it work in a snap!
OK. So what exactly can I do with Smart Objects?
When you define a new Smart Object, you will be suggested to automatically apply it to all other screens where it already exists.
Already created your Smart Objects? We got you covered! At any point, you can select any Smart Object and see exactly in which screens it’s featured, and then do the bulk apply.
How to create a new Smart Object and bulk apply:
1. Select an element and create a new Smart Object
2. Input its name and click “Create Smart Object”
3. Click “Apply to more screens” (note that the Smart Object will override any previous changes to similar elements that exist on other screens)
4. The process will run in the background and takes a few seconds
5. Once completed, you can click “More details” to see which screens it was applied to
You can also search by screens and see the screens that weren’t affected.
Keep in mind that edits made to any of the Smart Objects will affect all others.
How to bulk apply from an existing Smart Object:
1. Open “Smart Objects” in the left sidebar
2. Click on the “three dots” menu and then “Bulk Apply”
3. The flow continues from (4) above
The best practice is to define Smart Objects on parent elements (e.g. menus) that contain multiple edits in their child elements (e.g. text edits, links, etc.).
This can reduce repetitive work across various screens in the storyline.